Back pain is one of the most common problems in our population. It affects all age groups starting from school children to old people. The reason behind this problem may be improper body mechanism, trauma, injuries to the spine, aging etc.
It can also be the symptom of pressure on the nerves in the spine or to any part of the back. Most of the issues of back pain can be cured by proper medications, physical therapies and non-surgical treatments. When these kinds of treatments do not help you from back pain, surgery may be indicated. Some common conditions affecting the back are
- Slipping of the disc called Disc Prolapse.
- A curvature of the spine called Scoliosis.
- A humpback deformity called Kyphosis.
- The forward slippage of a segment of the spine called Spondylolisthesis.
- Degenerative disc diseases.
- Because of a herniated disk, the irritation and inflammation of a nerve called Radioculopathy.
- Narrowing of the spinal canal, called Spinal Stenosis.
- Fractures of the vertebra caused due to injury.
- Infections like Tuberculosis damaging the bones.
A variety of surgeries are performed depending on the injury to the spine. Some of them are
- Spinal Fusion
- Disc Replacement
- Vertebroplasty/ Kyphoplasty